Saturday, January 26, 2008

Happy Australia Day!

So what is the traditional Australian fare that could be used to celebrate today?

Pavlova, lamingtons, vegemite, lamb, seafood, bush tucker and of course: beer!! You wouldn't see me near bush tucker, frankly, I am just not that brave. Witchety grubs.. come on. *Shudder*

Vegemite on the other hand I devour daily. Best brekky ever, Finn loves it too. Now my thinking is. Australia is so multicultural, so I didn't make anything too traditionally Australian today, but we did tuck into some good Aussie lamb for tea. This is one of our regular meals, and its really delicious.

First I marinate the lamb in oregano, paprika, lemon juice, garlic, and oil:



Then thread them onto soaked in water bamboo skewers and barbecue or grilled (I use the george foreman grill).
Cut a portion of a Turkish Pide loaf open it up, brush it with oil a sprinkling of sea salt and into the oven til browned and crunchy.



Then I did a beautiful greek salad.. love that Danish fetta (smoother than the Australian, more to my taste).



And voila! Multicultural Australia day food! Greek salad, Lamb kebabs with greek yogurt (and a dash of paprika) and turkish bread.



No comments: